Pavlovo Posad shawls are known worldwide for their high quality and authentic Russian design. Women have enjoyed wearing them for more than 200 years.
In 1795 a manufacture producing silk shawls was opened in Pavlovo village by Ivan Labzin. Due to its success, a half century later the village became a town named Pavlovo Posad. In the 1860s partners Iakov Labzin and Vasiliy Griaznov created the first bright shawls with prints. As shawls' intricate patterns were connected with nature and intertwined with culture, they drew the attention of Russian beauties. Soon the manufacture became the largest one in Russia and its glory spread quickly even outside the country.
Traditionally each shawl has its name given by the artist. The dominant motifs today are half bloomed flowers, especially roses, and floral wreaths.